Fellowship Baptist Church, Cobourg was born on May 11, 1947. A small group of committed believers led by Lillian Caffin gathered to pray for the establishment of a Bible-believing Baptist Church. The church services were held in the Orange Lodge Hall (located on the site of the present Cobourg District Collegiate Institute West) for the first 9 years. A young man from Toronto, Robert A. Russell, pastored the first church which had a charter membership of 31.
In 1956 the first church building was erected on King Street East and the church family continued to grow. In 1978 a second step of faith led to the construction of our present building.
Our church has continued to grow and at a business meeting on May 12, 1993 after much prayer and discussion, we voted to pursue expansion on our present site. An expansion fund was set up with 10% of all donations being set aside for missions. This stewardship program was entitled "Living Things Grow".
In December 1996 the church membership voted unanimously to proceed with a two phase expansion of our facility. Construction began in May of 1997 to build a large extension to the rear of the church which would accommodate our growing Sunday School and include a full-size gym. This addition was completed in the spring of 1998. By May of 1999, Phase 1 of the expansion was completely debt-free. We have not set a date for commencing Phase 2 of the expansion.
We firmly believe that living things grow and we thank God that He has "planted" us here in Cobourg to share His Good News.